Home > Video Games > Here’s what Paul Gale Network’s 30 character dream roster was for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (plus my support for Crash Bandicoot).

October 16, 2012

How it all began on October 30th, 2011

The latest “cool” from PGN.

This article is just a list that shows you what my dream roster was for SuperBot Entertainment and Sony, for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. This was my own personal wishlist that I shared with my friend and both of the aforementioned. My limit was 30, it didn’t matter who or how many would be on disc vs. dlc, my choice was to have a 50-50 split between first and third party characters, my idea was to have the rivalry system set up to put those groups against one another, obey the “1 character per franchise rule”, fully acknowledge and respect PlayStation’s past, present, and future, and have a fair ratio of male to female characters. Here it is…

First party:

9] Sly Cooper
10] Kratos
11] Nariko
12] Jak and Daxter
13] Cole MacGrath
14] Colonel Mael Radec
15] Ellie (The Last of Us) [Thought it’d be cool to have a character that you can play in this game that you can’t play in her own title and it be of a property that’s yet to come.]

Third party:

1] Crash
2] Cloud
3] Ryu (Street Fighter) [Favorite third party character in all of gaming.]
4] Tommy Vercetti
5] Mega Man
6] Alucard
7] Snake
8] Lara Croft
9] Dante
10] The Prince (Katamari)
11] Leon Kennedy
12] Pyramid Head
13] Scorpion
14] Spyro
15] KOS-MOS

What I just gave you was my list of 30 and of those, 28 are pretty self explanatory. Well, maybe probably 29…just ruling out Ellie, which is why I gave her an explanation. I found out about The Last of Us roughly two weeks before it was revealed, but did not have a whole lot of information just yet. As more developed, it became clear that Ellie would be my #30. Everyone else on the list seemed logical to me and I think would make most people happy. (Feel free…in fact, please do let me know what you personally thought of my list).

And one other thing…there should honestly be no reason why PlayStation’s first mascot, regardless of where he’s at nowadays, doesn’t make the game. I mean, unless Crash Bandicoot was sold by Activision to Nintendo, he should be in PSASBR in my opinion. And money is no excuse, either. Sony lost $4 billion between Fall ’06 and Fall ’09 because of the PlayStation 3 and they’re still around, doing just fine. So “if” Activision wanted say…a whopping $1 million, are you telling me that Sony wouldn’t buy him for SuperBot’s game? Obviously, if a company wouldn’t “allow” their character to intermingle with other 3rd party characters or be a “fighter”, that’s one thing, but if it was simply a matter of money…to me, Sony’s pockets are deep enough that they more likely than not “could” have made it happen.

Sometimes in the video game industry, you have something “silly” happen, like Square-Enix not allowing Tommy Tallarico to use video footage from their games in his Video Games Live events. But sometimes you have something that you have to say, “yeah, I can see where they’re coming from”, such is the case why certain high profile car companies don’t want their vehicles to be able to get smashed up in racing games, because it’d possibly hurt the car’s image.

It’s all a matter of perspective…a bucket of opinions, really, but honestly, some opinions are more valid and hold more weight than others and those are the opinions that in my opinion occur when a majority agrees. Everyone has a right to think what they wish, but if 51-99% of a group has an opinion that reflects A, it’s my own thought that their collective thought is more valid than the 1-49% group.

But anyways, that’s opening up a whole other box. Getting back to Crash, I’ve never had a reason to doubt my friend…not once. So for what it’s worth, I still believe in the word given to me, but if Mr. Bandicoot and the other three shared with me aren’t in the game, I’d be surprised. Disappointed? Yeah…like most of you. But I’d still support and buy the game, regardless.

Thank you all for your continued support. And just for fun, here’s a look back, 2 weeks shy of being a year to the date, of the first 3 pics that would be the start of hints for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (then known as Title Fight). 🙂 Some of you might not have ever seen the pics and for those that have…well…what’d you think when you first saw them? Finally…here’s to me finding out the truth about the Final 4!

Paul Gale Network original Hint 1 for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Hint 1

Paul Gale Network original Hint 2 for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Hint 2

Paul Gale Network original Hint 3 for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Hint 3

Related stories:

10/10/12 = Unedited e-mail to SuperBot with final list of characters.
10/05/12 = Vote for how you want PGN to reveal the final characters.
10/01/12 = Edited e-mail to SuperBot with final list of characters.
09/28/12 = The talk to the fans.
09/18/12 = What’d you do in 1987?
09/12/12 = Fan art of PGN (and more) in PSASBR.
09/09/12 = Old hints become new again.
09/04/12 = Whose side is Kevin Butler on?
09/02/12 = PGN’s “revealing final content” e-mail to SuperBot.
08/31/12 = First video footage of Nariko and Sir Daniel Fortesque.
08/29/12 = First video footage of Raiden.
08/28/12 = First video footage of Evil Cole McGrath.
08/14/12 = Sackboy, Dante, and Spike confirmations + Free PS Vita version with Cross Buy.
08/14/12 = New “vague” hints on the way.
08/13/12 = PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gets delayed to November 20th.
08/11/12 = Original hint for Nathan Drake.
08/11/12 = Don’t fear PSASBR’s final roster.

psyclone2 October 16, 2012 at 4:04 am

you listed spyro twice….did u mean sora?

Paul Gale October 16, 2012 at 4:26 am

Sorry for the confusion, but not Spyro (double) or Sora…rather Snake in #7. (BTW, this list of 30 is in no particular order).

Zalman October 16, 2012 at 5:36 am

My number one wish was Crash Bandicoot. Too bad I couldn’t even get that… 🙁 Hopefully you’ll find out the truth about “the final 4”. (And reveal it to us!)

Zerox October 16, 2012 at 5:51 am

When do you reckon your source will get back to you?

ackme-b October 16, 2012 at 7:15 am

waooooo this is one of the best wishlist that i’ve ever read really almost all the characters that i want is there (I would like to play as the onimusha warrior samanosuke akechi) and paul I would like to fight each other in the game and if it happens which character would you use????? 😀

antispor October 16, 2012 at 7:45 am

Big Daddy has to be the worst roster choice for this game. He’s the only “lolwut” character in the entire game. It makes me rant everytime I think about it.

CSRPAYSRHO October 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

Mr. Bandicoot. Crash’s professional name. 🙂

Zalman October 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

@Antispor – I agree, and I could say the same thing for Fat Princess. I seriously don’t think she deserves to be in the game more than other first party characters like Wander or Kat. Not only that, but they smack her at the very front of the box art… Sigh… It could’ve been Crash up there.

Jrange378 October 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

Love your 3rd party list paul. Not all my picks, but has variety and very well represents great titles that helped shape Playstation from all genres.

My only gripe is the lack of Sir Dan and Snake.

Jrange378 October 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

and Tomba lol.

Paul Gale October 16, 2012 at 11:23 am

Snake is in, at #7. It was a typo on my part last night, putting in Spyro, twice. (And yeah, I’m missing Sir Dan but at least I have Crash!)

psyclone2 October 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

so it was snake not sora? i figured as much…

Paul Gale October 16, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Yeah. I mean I did think of Sora in “my list”, but I has Cloud which satisfied my needs for that type of character. Still, I could have always put Sora in and taken out Tommy Vercetti or Scorpion. Heh, I guess if I has to redo my list nowadays, I might alter a few things.

psyclone2 October 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm

superbot would really be missing out. soras got a decent fanbase, but kh fans are about as ravenous as they come….if sora were in this, the sales for ps3 and vita would skyrocket……like the psp did when birth by sleep came out.

soviet prince October 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I totally agree with you on crash, and hope you find some info on the final 4 soon

Sparkster24 October 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Hint #2. Looks like Gex to me. (since he was a Spy in the games)

MEERKAT5638 October 16, 2012 at 6:44 pm

He’s done with hints bro… He already gave all of his character info he had received.

TyParker October 16, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Paul if you had to make a new ’30 character wishlist’ as opposed to now would if change at all

or better yet, who are the top 15 characters you want in All-Stars not including the 20 already announced??

Paul Gale October 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I would probably make a small change here and there. I wanted equal character representation from a variety of companies, genres, and most importantly, games that have great affiliation with the PlayStation brand. Tommy Vercetti was very valuable in bringing GTA to where it is now, but perhaps I’d remove him and put in Sora. On second thought, between him and Scorpion, Tommy is more PS than our yellow suited ninja, so I’d probably take out the MK rep and put in Sora. You could say, “why not take out Ryu in that case?” But sorry, my favorite 3rd party character in all of gaming HAS to remain.

slash127 October 16, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Playing the beta got me into the game, the only thing i really dislike is how TINY the characters are on screen, it’s very easy to lose track of your character and i totally see why now.

I played as sly and have only lost one match so far as him!

oh and from top to bottom

I though hint 1 was ryu

hint 2 was gex

and hint 3 was sora,

(I instantly thought of tron and how he showed up in kingdom hearts 2)

And I love sora but I love your roster better than what superbot spend time to add

And it still frustrates me that they wouldn’t get those characters nailed down before production,

and WHY chase after characters that are in progression of being released in future games,

(RADIAN AND NEW DANTE) that’s all they had time to focus on, and making up movesets for characters that never had any to begin with like parappa and fat princess (? for those too)

wshamless rant done, iv’e played the beta so i’m getting it regardless, i just hope they can at least fix the character size issue (on screen and in roster)

slash127 October 16, 2012 at 8:53 pm

sorry to hate on parappa but his own character designer didn’t want him in a violent game

soviet prince October 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I assume this is the new place to discuss psas lol, anyway can you give us on a scale of 1-10 of the validity of your info. Also you get my email

Paul Gale October 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Since all else was true for close to three years, this should be an easy 100%. Only hearing Omar say otherwise, makes me question things. Got your email but haven’t been on AIM in ages.

TooTwos October 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm

So i’m just taking your word for it but it sounds like on november 19th they will announce the final four as day 1 dlc

Paul Gale October 17, 2012 at 4:25 pm

That might happen. 🙂

soviet prince October 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm

did you get any info on there actually being day 1 dlc?

soviet prince October 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm

anyway you can get back on have so many questions

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:16 am

So little time. In addition to the site, almost every waking hour is spent doing something. Trying to answer Q’s though…

creeper43 October 17, 2012 at 9:10 am

15 ideal allstar characters
1 scorpion/sub zero
2 spyro
3 kat
4 lara croft
5 crash
6 abe (odds world)
7 ryu
8 sora
9 xianot (kingdom hearts 2)
10 jin kazama (tekken)
11 cloud
12 snake
13 tomba
14 ichigo (bleach)
15 paul gale
\fgjo

what do you think of my wish list

Paul Gale October 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm

That’s pretty freakin’ fantastic. 🙂 My moves and supers would be awesome! 🙂 (I hope)

Ferkel11 October 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Paul,please find out the truth about Mr.Bandicoot! 😀

soviet prince October 17, 2012 at 5:17 pm

yes even if you have to infiltrate activision and free him from his cage guarded by chuck norris

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

I met Chuck Norris on a few occasions. 🙂 Really cool person.

PsychoJuggz October 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Niiiiccceeee i love it, just i don’t see Sir Daniel 😮 other than that i would like to see heather/harry mason, and Isaac from dead space. And you actually mention Pyramid Head 😀 That’s rad dude, they also should throw in nico bellic, Mr.Grimm, Ghost(MW2), Duke Nukem, Grey Fox, Polygon man, Rick from splatterhouse, Nemesis, John Marston From red dead redemption, Max Payne. BUt thats just me being greedy. what do you think pyramid heads moveset would be paul?

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:16 am

Ooooh, that’d be fun to make.

PsychoJuggz October 18, 2012 at 5:46 am

Let’s go, Basic attacks would obviously be his sword. Range could be the spear or javelin. he could use the curse of silent hill to his advantage, as well as the monsters. Also Alma from F.E.A.R would be amazing for PSASBR.

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 7:32 am

Not a bad set of attacks.

DanteDMC October 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hey Paul, this is a dream list i had for the game:
This includes the 20 characters already listed.
1. Spyro (First Video game ive ever played)
2.Crash
15. Ezio or Connor
16.Virgil (DMC 3)
17. Jester (DMC 3)
18.Gex
19. Auron (FFX)
20. Darth Vader

A little unrealistic, but a person can dream, What do you think about my list?

DanteDMC October 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm

oh yeah and a little surprise of Jodi the character from the upcoming game Beyond:Two Souls, image what powers she could have because of the entity that follows her…

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:14 am

Your list of 40 total IS great. Heh, why not go big?

DanteDMC October 18, 2012 at 11:49 am

Yea!!!!:)

jfen005 October 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

paul, is the final boss related in any way to the unrevealed final 4 characters you mentioned?

jfen005 October 18, 2012 at 12:25 am

you seem to ignore this question i ask you paul. i wonder why?

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:30 am

I’m just going to let what happens, happen. I’ve served my purpose.

dorkgeniuz21 October 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I still think the game needs more female characters.I vote, Lighting, Laura Croft,Kat,Claire Red field & or Jill Valentine, Bayonetta, that one chick from parasite eve & Aveline…

dorkgeniuz21 October 17, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Btw Paul, was there any talk of DLC stages?

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:12 am

New stages will be shown next Wednesday.

soviet prince October 18, 2012 at 12:13 am

I think he means dlc, also why have my post not gotten a response and approved

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:34 am

Which post? I think they’re all approved. Just can’t answer them all due to time. Some I can’t answer because of the subject matter.

jfen005 October 18, 2012 at 12:24 am

the remaining ones of the 14 we already know or totally new ones we never heard of?

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:30 am

Soon enough…

jfen005 October 18, 2012 at 12:42 am

with that reply i can’t tell if it’s of the 14 we already know of or totally new ones 🙁 can you be a little bit more specific?

also, do you if that uncharted train level mashed with warhawk made it in or not which was shown at SDCC ’12?

hwere’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaDSmbgyMg

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 7:35 am

Even the 14 you’re aware of is a great list.

psyclone2 October 18, 2012 at 5:30 am

superbot recently said only 14 stages ingame, and since theyre not done revealing the leaked ones, why would they move onto dlc?

paranoidplayer24 October 17, 2012 at 10:28 pm

PYRAMID HEAD <3. Please make him dlc Paul PLEASE.

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:12 am

Lol, I don’t work there…but I could recommend, haha.

paranoidplayer24 October 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hahaha ya I know. I was Just saying put in a good word fr pyramid head

soviet prince October 18, 2012 at 12:20 am

can I ask question by email then, and if i do will you reply dont want to wait for a reply that not going to come.

also thanks for your dedication to this game

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 12:33 am

You’re welcome. Thank you for everything, too. Depending what you ask (here or via email), I’ll answer IF it’s something I can. Time-wise, ok, I’ll make it happen. Now it just depends on what the Q is.

soviet prince October 18, 2012 at 1:07 am

also did u get the beta add me as a friend soviet prince

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 7:34 am

I haven’t gotten a chance to sit down and just play games lately…too busy. But I will definitely add you.

MegaRay October 18, 2012 at 11:38 am

Hey Pual, i know ur busy but i hope u can answer this Q/
did SuperBot have ever mention sora (from kh)? they have talk about crash and cloud so i think they well made it in future but what about sora? i mean there are two collections coming to ps3 plus KHIII for the ps3 (and the first collection’s trailer was in TGS and they were there).
if they never mention him, can u ask them to include him as future dlc?
btw i got the beta and it was alot of fun (more than i expected) even tho my best characters isnt there: jak, spike, sackboy, raiden ,ratchet and all others Lol

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Sora was someone brought up. I just don’t know how high up in the master list, was he ever considered. I’m glad you’re having fun with it!

MegaRay October 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

if SuperBot asked Namura (creater of KH series) he will give them sora for free, i mean Namura himself said he want the new gamer to get a chance to enter KH universe without confuse that what make SE make the collection but i think it would make the collection sell better if sora in psas so i think Namura and Square Enix would give the char for free or cheap price.
BTW if there ever be an online tournament of psas (beta or actual game) i would be #1 in it 🙂 im aiming to beat you and omar kendell himself in the future 🙂 (im good at this type of games “SSB, DON, tmnt and alot others”) 😀

TooTwos October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Wait so you know some stuff paul? Can you confirm this? I mean you saying we get to see new stages on wednesday must mean you’ve heard something right?

Paul Gale October 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Officially yet-to-be revealed stuff, yes.

soviet prince October 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm

anything to do with the characters?

TooTwos October 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Hope its your final 4

Mitsjol October 19, 2012 at 7:23 am

I made this image not so long ago about third party reps I think should be in: http://i.imgur.com/n3Mmk.jpg

Paul Gale October 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Cool list!

Ferkel11 October 19, 2012 at 11:21 am
Paul Gale October 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Sony’s gone “Paul Gale Network” with their hints. 😉

Ferkel11 October 20, 2012 at 3:04 am

LOL 😀

jdude1996a October 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Paul, I really want this character http://www1.xup.in/exec/ximg.php?fid=19206467 in PSASBR, and know he won’t get in the final game, but this character is my childhood, and is very important to me…i’ve broken literally 5 versions of that game but kept buying it after it broke, i love this game and character sooo much…Everyone has that 1 character that they loved back in the day and hold dear to their heart…THIS character is that for me…If he made it in as DLC, I would literally cry cause of how happy I am, that’s why i ask if you can send my message to Superbot, asking for Prana Devil as DLC in this game?

Paul Gale October 19, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I can always try, but be sure to let your voice be heard as well!

jdude1996a October 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

Oh i definitely will Paul…Sucks that not many people are suggesting this character though…he’d be so great in this game, a unique character that would bring something fresh to the table

Ferkel11 October 20, 2012 at 3:06 am

jdude1996a What about Jersey Devil? 😀
Have you played it too?

soviet prince October 20, 2012 at 12:59 am

have you heard about the seeing the faces in the trailer theory

Paul Gale October 20, 2012 at 8:08 am

I’ve heard of them, yes.

Ferkel11 October 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

Its not a bad theory,Snake can be seen a bit on the 1080p brightened up image.
I dont know if it was photoshopped or not.,
but all people there said it wasnt.

angelbless October 22, 2012 at 12:47 am

I like your list very much Paul 🙂 specially since you included characters like Alucard and you left out the two Coles thing :).

I would only insert Ellen from Folklore instead of Ellie IMHO 🙂

slash127 November 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Any new info for allstars paul?

Paul Gale November 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

Nope…unfortunately not.

slash127 November 5, 2012 at 11:06 am

seems like after the last character announcement everything went dark…. keep us posted man