Paul Gale Network received an exclusive rumor, suggesting that Nintendo is preparing a “reUmagined” series of games for Wii U, beginning with classic titles that the company published during the Nintendo 64 days. The lineup of titles that are said to get this treatment include:
– Super Mario 64
– ***** ***** **
– **** **** **
– **** *** **
– ********** **
– ******* ****
– **** ************
Details on the reUmagined concept:
– The short development time allows these “big classic” titles to fill the gap in between Nintendo’s original Wii U software.
– Less to fund and fewer people involved means more resources to original titles in development.
– eShop only for $30 per title, reduces risk at retail.
– Wind Waker approach taken in terms of visual upgrades, but “reUmagined” titles will benefit from added content.
Super Mario 64 reUmagined info:
– The classic Super Mario 64 in its entirety is being repainted and brought into HD.
– Two players can control Mario and Luigi, simultaneously.
– Option A gives player one, GamePad control and player two, any other controller option. The camera will follow the brothers as they move throughout the stage, but should they split apart too far, the GamePad user’s Lakitu (camera operator) will only follow that user on the controller’s screen, while the second player’s Lakitu will follow that character on the TV.
– Option B allows two GamePads to be used at once. If the brothers are nearby, the camera will remain the same on both GamePads and TV. If the brothers separate, each player will have his or her own unique camera view on their GamePad, until coming back together. While apart, however, the TV screen can be switched to be mimicking either player one or player two or be a top down perspective, map.
– Online cooperative/counter-cooperative gameplay is present.
– Race to Star, Coin Collector, and other similar modes have been added in to enhance re-playability.
The reUmagined series of games is made of 7 titles (all that come with bullet points), but since this is a rumor that Paul Gale Network has not been able to prove true at this time, just Mario is being shared. If and how everything else will be revealed is to be determined. What do you personally think of Nintendo’s reUmagined line? After reading the details on Super Mario 64 reUmagined and the other titles, I certainly believe that this an excellent approach for Nintendo to take and hope it’s indeed really happening. In August of 2012, my source was spot on with revealing to me here that Nintendo was developing a new 3D Mario game for Wii U and that it would be a 2013 release (5 months before Nintendo confirmed it in their January, 2013 Nintendo Direct). With the logos provided to me and accompanying information, things look more positive than not. Then again, Star Fox – Metroid: Fusion Saga came with plenty of information as well and turned out to only be a title “considered for development” at one time, as Retro Studios’ first actual title for Wii U is in fact, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.